Basso lifts lid on City departure
Former City goalkeeper Adriano Basso has spoken about his Bristol City departure for the first time.
The 36-year-old fell out of favour with ex-Robins boss Gary Johnson in May 2009 before being released in March last year.
For the next nine months, the ambitious Brazilian was left to train alone in a Bristol park while waiting for a top club to come in for his services.
But Basso, who has always stated his unwavering belief that he will represent his country, rejected several overtures from lower league clubs before accepting the offer of a six-month deal from Wolves boss Mick McCarthy in January this year.
"I had a situation at Bristol [City] and decided against signing a contract," he explained to the Sunday Mercury. "They offered me three years, but I decided not to sign for my own reasons.
"I told my agent that I had proven myself in the Championship, so I was looking for an opportunity in the Premiership. I told him if he came back with anything outside the Premiership, I didn't want it.
"I believe if you don`t choose to go for what you want, you stay with what you have. I paid the price by waiting for six months until Wolves came along.
"If you have a goal in life, you have to stick with it. It was a long time without income but I wanted to stick with my choice. It was hard."
Basso faces more uncertainty with his short term contract expiring at the end of the month while McCarthy has yet offer him a new deal.
Win FREE pizza with Vital Football!
Select your team and get 50% off if they score twice.