Fourth Time Lucky For City?
The Liberty Stadium, Swansea
15 September 2009
City make their fourth trip to the Liberty aiming to end our winless run there since the Swans moved from the Vetch in 2005.
Swansea go into the game without a win this season and with a host of injury problems whilst the tubby funster Lee Trundle has to miss the clash under the terms of his loan agreement.
The Swans are one of the better passing sides in the league but Paulo Sousa is struggling to pick up the pieces from Roberto Martinez's exit.
The Portuguese chappy is also struggling to get his favoured formation off the ground, particularly with the prolific Jason Scotland leaving the club last season.
In contrast, City are a settled side in decent form and possess the league's second most prolific hitman in Nicky Maynard, who will fancy his chances against the depleted Swans defence tonight.
I have gone for a draw tonight as City's away form leaves a lot to be desired but all eyes will be on Maynard and the new lad Saborio.
The latter looked the real deal in the last game against Coventry but both forwards will require better service than in previous away fixtures if City are to think about winning this one.
PAULO SOUSA - Swansea Gaffer
"They have quality and they are very strong on set-plays. They have just beaten Middlesbrough and did well in a draw at Coventry, so we need to be at our best.
"The players deserve to get a win but we need to have a bit of luck." Swansea Evening Post
GARY JOHNSON - City Gaffer
"We have to be patient. They will knock it round at the back, pass short and sharp.
"When we've got the ball we need to make sure we use it right. An early goal would be really good because they aren't high up in the league and it could just turn the crowd." bcfc.co.uk
Swansea Team News:
Swansea are without Lee Trundle under the terms of his loan from Bristol City and are also missing the suspended Angel Rangel and Garry Monk.
Striker Stephen Dobbie (ribs), midfielder Darren Pratley (shoulder), winger Thomas Butler (hernia) and forward Guillem Bauza (knee) are out.
Manager Paulo Sousa will be hoping influential midfielder Ferrie Bodde is fit to make his first start this season following a knee injury.
Craig Beattie and Cedric Van der Gun are in contention whilst Joe Allen and Fede Bassone are pushing for starts having recovered from knocks.
Player to watch: Ferrie Bodde
Started the season last year with a string of eye-catching performances before having his season cut short with a cruciate knee injury.
Will no doubt be chomping at the bit to come back after 10 months out and has the ability to dictate the tempo from central midfield.
His inclusion could inspire the home side.
Bristol City Team News:
City defenders Bradley Orr and Lewin Nyatanga have fully recovered from illness and are expected to feature.
But strikers John Akinde (ankle), Danny Haynes (tonsillits) and David Clarkson (illness) are all ruled out.
Alvaro Saborio is expected to retain his place up front alongside Nicky Maynard.
Player to watch: Nicky Maynard
Six goal in seven League and Cup games makes him our obvious threat.
Hopefully he can pick up his blistering form where he left off at Coventry.
Match Facts & Stats
- City have yet to win at the Liberty since our first visit there in 2005, a 7-1 drubbing which cost Brian Tinnion his job.
- City have failed to find the net against the Swans in our last four meetings, despite the referee wrongly denying a Marvin Elliott 'goal' didn't cross the line in the 0-0 draw in Bristol last year.
- If City don't win tonight, it will be 20 years since we have won in Swansea, with our last triumph coming in the 5-0 route in the 1990 Division Three promotion season.
- Yet to win at home in the league this season, scoring only once in the process.
- Lost five out of the last eight League games.
- Lowest scorer's in the Championship so far this season with only 3 goals on the board to date.
- Dirtiest team in the Championship with 15 yellow cards.
- Nine games without a win away from home, dating back to Norwich away in February last season.
- Yet to score at all in the first half of League and Cup games this season.
- Only two players have found the net asides from Nicky Maynard this season.
Dean Whitestone (Northampton)
Hasn't reffed City or Swansea for three years and has dished out 16 bookings in six games so far this season.
SWANSEA 1-1 BRISTOL CITY
Swansea appear to be there for the taking with their injury problems but City's poor away form mixed with Swansea's lack of potency in front of goal point towards another draw.
Sat 19 Sept: Barnsley (a)
Sat 26 Sept: Sheff Utd (h)
Tues 29 Sept: Doncaster (a)
Sat 19 Sept: Scunthorpe (h)
Sat 26 Sept: Derby (a)
Tues 29 Sept: Blackpool (h)